"With the certitude of a true believer, Vellya Paapen had assured the twins that there was no such thing in the world as a black cat. He said that there were only black, cat-shaped holes in the universe."
-- Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Confessions of a Former Teacher #2: Sins of Provision










Unforgivable:  A Sonnet

A mug of warmth, a jolt to heart and mind
Most ev’ry morn we teachers this do crave;
When pupils fail and parents be unkind,
By sweet ambrosia oft the day be saved.
Unwritten rules say, “He who fills his cup
Must then in turn make more for friends in need--”
To drain last drops without then stocking up
Is deemed a truly heinous crime indeed.
For thirteen years I lectured, graded, shushed,
And many a pot o’ coffee I did finish,
But though my comrades thirsted for a rush,
Not once in my career did I replenish.
     Look down on me with hatred if you will--
     You must admit; a streak like that takes skill.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment